Do you know who was Mirza Asadullah Khan Ghalib and why we are talking about him?Mirza Ghalib was the brightest star on the sky of urdu poetry. He was born as Mirza Asadullah Baig Khan and Ghalib was a pen name adopted by him. He achieved immense fame with this. Here whatever I am going to discuss it’s all about Ghalib.
Here I am going to tell you a few things about Mirza Ghalib.
1. Ghalib was born in Agra in Turkish aristocratic ANCESTRY on 27th December, 1797. There are a lot confusion his early life and education because there hadn’t any formal records are find. It was said that Ghalib’s friends were some of the most respected and intelligent people of Delhi.
2. When he was very young, he got married. He had 7 children but none of them were survived. We can see the pain of losing his beloved one especially his children in his poetry.
3. It was famous about the that he had not only one but two weakness i.e. drinking and gambling. These two habits stuck with him in his ertire life.
Since on Those times gambling was considered as an offence,but our famous poet Ghalib was never bothered about it. In fact, he used to say that he was not a strict Muslim in the true sense of word!
- Talking about Ghalib’s work, he was one of the respected as well as important poets in the court of Bahadur Shah Zafar II. The fact we don’t know that emperor, who was also his student, honoured him with royal titles of Dabber-ul-Mulkand Najm-ud-daulah. These titles helped him enter the nobility of Delhi.
He added Mirza as suffix in his name with because of the title that the emperor added to his honor – Mirza Nosha. He was then called as Mirza Ghalib.
5. When he was of only 11, he wrote his first poem. He was also a master of many languages like Urdu, Persian and Turkish. His most of the poems and shers are about failed love and its agony.
He also wrote a lot about the philosophy of life and mysticism. He successfully managed to express himself in bigger depths because he made his lover less important in his poetry and gave more importance to his feelings and emotions.
Many of his ghazals and letters carried a history of events of the downfall of Mughal dynasty and arrival of Britishers.
Selected Poetry of Ghalib-
- aah ko chaahiye ik umr asar hone tak
kaun jeeta hai teri zulf ke sar hone tak(Translation: A lifetime passes before a sigh shows its effect,
who would wait so long to see you fixing the tangles in your hair)
- un ke dekhe se jo aa jaati hai munh par raunaq
vo samajhte hain ki beemar ka haal achha hai(Translation: My face lights up when I see her and she feels that the sick me is now okay)
- hazaron khwahishen aisi ki har khwahish pe dam nikle,
bahut nikle mere armaan lekin phir bhi kam nikle
(Translation: I have a thousand desires, all desires worth dying for,
Though many of my desires were fulfilled, many remained unfulfilled)
- hum ko maalum hai jannat ki haqiqat lekin
dil ke khush rakhne ko ‘ghalib’ ye khayal achha hai
(Translation: We know what’s the truth, but to please yourself, this thought is good)
- ye na thi hamari qismat ki visal-e-yaar hota
agar aur jeete rahte yahi intezar hota
(Translation: That my love be consummated, fate did not ordain
Living longer had I waited, would have been in vain)
- bas-ki dushvar hai har kaam ka asaan hona
aadmi ko bhi mayassar nahin insaan hona
(Translation: It is difficult to complete every goal easily. For a man, too, to be a human, is no easy feat)